11 Things Every College Student Can Agree On

College graduations were happening as I wrote this article, and being a recent one myself there are several things that popped into my mind that I know all college student will agree with. I am grateful for my years in college; however, there are many things that I went through that I know every student went, is, and will be going through their college experience.

Group Projects are the worst!

When it comes to group project I know we can all agree there are a couple of superlatives you might identify yourself with and your classmates.

The bossy: the only things this person is good for is to give orders. They believe they are some type of CEO or president of a big company, but in reality they don’t help around at all.

The doer: this one ends up being like the slave of the group. They finish the project all by themselves because they worry too much about their grades to just not do anything at all. (This has ALWAYS been me)

The ghost: we’ve all come across that on person that when groups are assigned just disappears until the night before the project is due. The cherry on top is that they text you something like “OMG, the project is due tomorrow, so you need help with anything?”

*Red Emoji Face* “NO B!$#%!!! I already did it all by myself”

The liar: this is one is way too special. They tell you they will get done around 3-4 tasks, because they promise they are very good at them. The night before the project they go MIA and never turn in anything.

The one on cloud nine: This one always has a skill that they brag about. In reality, they really have no clue how to do it and they turn in the wrong thing.

Caffeine is your best friend

It doesn’t matter how you ingest it, it does the trick. You need it to stay awake for all-nighters finishing papers, projects, and studying for exams; then, you need it again to wake up after pulling an all-nighter to stay awake during class. Coffee, red bull, monster, you name it! Caffeine is the dominant liquid in your system during college.

You don’t trust people who say: “I’ve never pulled off an all-nighter”

Like, from what planet are you? You tell me you have never spent a weekend partying and not worrying about college and then realize you need to do A LOT of studying? All-nighters are in every-single-college-student list. You have stayed awake past midnight, WAY past midnight, studying for a test or finishing a very long paper, at least once.

Finding a good spot at the library is aย mission

You have a long break between classes and decide you want to finish homework, or just want to chill and watch episodes of your favorite TV show. You arrive at the library and *BAM* all seats near plugs are taken. You end up sitting on the floor near a stranded plug, or even worst, you end up in the quite floors where you can’t even cough.

For those who went, or go to small universities: Cafeteria Food sucks

Food quality is not the best and the lines are endless. You have arrived to class because of it, and you still eat it because well, there is no other option.

Roommates: They either become your BFFs or your worst nightmare

When you go to college away from home, you end up in the dorms with a roommate or in some cases three. This situation can only go two ways. You either become inseparable friends, can’t-live-with-out-them, or you loathe them and wish you were back home.

If they become your soulmates, you go everywhere together! You even manage to take the same classes if possible. However, if you can’t stand your roommate/s it’s probably because they are super messy and they never clean up after themselves. You decide to spend your free-time elsewhere. Because when you get to your dorm you can barely find your bed under the mountain of clothes your roommate never cleans, or even worst they always have people over for #TipsyTuesday or #ThirstyThursday.

You either LOVE or HATE Greek Life

In college there are two types of people: the Greeks and the rest of the students. In most universities, Greeks dominate but for some people sororities and fraternities are just not appealing at all. So, you either join one of them and have sisters and brothers for the rest of your college life, or you just find them extremely annoying. In this one there is really no in-between feeling.

Advisors are not advisors at all

With the exception of a few (Which I did had the pleasure to meet during my time in college), most advisors have ZERO clue of what they are supposed to do. With all due respect to advisors that may come across this, the truth is that most college graduates can agree that they graduated with the help of fellow students and not yours. You either fail to tell us about those hidden electives we needed to graduate on time, or simply don’t really care.

For big universities parking is… well it really SUCKS

You manage to arrive 30 min. prior to your class, but end up being late because you just couldn’t find nearby parking. You had to park on the other side of campus and had to walk what it feels like 1,000 miles to get to class.

Another one for big universities: Class registration is the worst!

If you are a freshmen or a sophomore, you will not, I repeat, you will not end up with your dream schedule! See, classes fill up pretty quickly and you end up with a very crappy schedule. You end up taking 7 am classes and 8 pm classes and you social life gets compromised.

“I’m gonna take afternoon classes to study in the morning”

After a semester full of all-nighters, you decide you are going ย to take classes in the afternoon so you can sleep early, wake-up, and finish everything in the mornings. Ha Ha Ha Be true to yourself, this never happened and it will not happened! You actually woke up early the first week fue to excitement, but then ended up being that same lazy person you have always been. You woke up the rest of the semester at 11:00 am and went straight to class. All-nighters are back in the schedule!

What are other things you think all college students and graduates can agree with! Share them on the comment box below!

XOXO Ana Cristina Mariรฑo

Lifestyle
Previous Story
Next Story

You Might Also Like

32 Comments

Robin Masshole Mommy
    May 18, 2016 at 9:59 am

Hahaha! My stepson just finished up his freshman year and he will love this article. He’s mentioned ALL of these things over the last year ๐Ÿ™‚

Stephanie
    May 18, 2016 at 10:11 am

Hahahaha so true!

Terri Steffes
    May 18, 2016 at 10:28 am

Ok, I am a college professor (never have been an advisor, though!) and I give group projects another think. LOL, I think you hit the nail on the head. I may use this post in my next class! ๐Ÿ™‚

Josie Urbistondo
    May 18, 2016 at 11:01 am

So funny. I remember being an FIU student many moons ago and the ‘finding a spot at the library’ was a mission then as well.

Rebecca Bryant
    May 18, 2016 at 11:05 am

My son is going into his Jr year of high school he will lvoe this article. I can’t wait to show him. emailing it to him now.

Beth
    May 18, 2016 at 11:58 am

I agree with all of these, haha! My addition — I always got a parking ticket when I thought, “Oh I’m just popping in for a little bit I can park in this spot that I don’t have a permit for…” Yep, turns out I had to pay quite a few tickets before over my time at university. Whoops!

Maureen
    May 18, 2016 at 1:59 pm

This Summer will be two years since I graduated from FIU and I completely agree with everything in this post!

I lived two seconds away and parking was still an issue. I never looked forward to group projects. Meeting with different advisors within the same school is what prevented me from missing any electives and falling behind like so many of my peers.

Great post! Very relatable.

Kait
    May 18, 2016 at 2:13 pm

This post brought me right back to college! Man, those were the days! LOL! I agree — group projects are the worst. They still are!

Sheri
    May 18, 2016 at 3:35 pm

This is fantastic! I can relate to everything you mentioned here from when I was in college, ah some people just wont change. The group projects always cause some kind of drama or stress!

Cara (@StylishGeek)
    May 18, 2016 at 5:39 pm

Your tips are absolutely essential! Yes I agree that finding a good study spot is an absolute must. Coffee is certainly your friend, although surprisingly I only started drinking it when I started working (lol!). Thanks for a fab post!

Kat
    May 18, 2016 at 9:05 pm

FIU has literally the WORST parking situation for any university. They don’t even have a bus or some sort of system to take students from their parking spot to the other end of campus.

But I never pulled an all nighter ๐Ÿ˜‰

Amber Nelson
    May 18, 2016 at 9:41 pm

Group projects were horrible. There is always someone who ends up with the brunt of the work.

Carolyn
    May 18, 2016 at 10:00 pm

This is such a funny post. Everything is spot on. I hated group projects. Luckily my roommates were my friends.

Julie @ Girl on the Move
    May 19, 2016 at 12:03 am

Oh my goodness, yes…group projects are absolutely the worst…and the way you described the roles…spot on! I went to a big university and agree..parking and registration were no fun!

Dawn
    May 19, 2016 at 12:32 am

My daughter talks about many of these often. Group projects are the worst, especially when no one does their part of the project! Also, she has grown a strong appreciation for coffee these past few years.

Paula
    May 19, 2016 at 12:36 am

I think the Greek thing might depend on the school … at UC Santa Barbara (at least when I was there), no one really cared if someone was Greek or not. We all partied together, sometimes with our house, sometimes not. It could have been that our school loved a good party no matter who was hosting it, but I also think that the Greek system was on the small side (as in a small percent of the population).But I totally agree about the room mate thing, and the library!

Emily
    May 19, 2016 at 2:15 am

Caffeine is seriously the best. I have no idea how anyone lives without it, especially during college!

jill conyers
    May 19, 2016 at 3:35 am

I’ll show this to my son who just finished his first year of college. He actually lucked out with an awesome advisor.

Marie Beausoleil
    May 19, 2016 at 9:21 am

Caffeine will always be your friend. ๐Ÿ™‚ Just sayin’.

What are Greeks?

modaddicted
      May 19, 2016 at 11:16 am

Greeks are Sororities and Fraternities. College Clubs, but you need to be accepted into them during what is called ‘rush week’. I wasn’t part of one lol, so I don’t know much. But they become like your family and connections in life.

Michelle @ Sunshine and Hurricanes.com
    May 19, 2016 at 9:30 am

I’m 20 years past college graduation but I was chuckling as I read these and reminisced! Many of them apply to bloggers, too….I’m always keeping weird hours and stalking the perfect spots at the coffee shop/library. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Dia All The Things I Do
    May 19, 2016 at 10:06 am

Haha this list is too great. I just had the 4th anniversary of my my college graduation and these are all still true. Especially the parking and the roommate thing. I miss random things like good discussion or late night study sessions which was really just my friends and I hanging out but not finals or grades.

Taylor
    May 19, 2016 at 1:33 pm

I have always hated group projects! It seems like no matter what, I always end up doing the majority of the work because people are flaky and don’t show up to meetings and such! Totally agree.

Wendy
    May 19, 2016 at 2:56 pm

Even though college is a VERY distant memory for me, these all made me laugh. Like Taylor, I always just did the group project because it was easier than trying to coordinate a bunch of slackers.

Kiwi
    May 19, 2016 at 3:44 pm

Girl campus parking is the worst like I never understood that if I pay all of this money why should I pay all this money to park! There was only one free parking spot near campus by this house that people didnt know about really and I was happy when I found it because charging me $2 an hour adds up a day!

Roxanne
    May 19, 2016 at 9:00 pm

College is when I first began my love affair with coffee. I’d agree to almost all of these. Never did the sorority thing, but did attend my share of house parties. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Denea
    May 19, 2016 at 9:44 pm

Everything you said couldn’t be more true! I was queen of all nighters and I hated group projects!

Mimi
    May 19, 2016 at 10:51 pm

Wow! These sound very familiar after talking with my oldest daughter and her college experience! She was NOT a fan of group projects, and finding a parking spot at her university was a nightmare.

LeAnne Matlach
    May 19, 2016 at 11:35 pm

ugh group projects are literally the worst thing to happen to school. such a headache.

Heather
    May 20, 2016 at 8:08 am

Yes, group projects are the worst. I hated them, I always seemed to be left doing everything! Kind of glad those days are over ๐Ÿ™‚

Erin
    May 20, 2016 at 9:52 am

LOL, oh college. While I didnt have that experience, I’ve heard the same thing from so many people. I think group projects are always a challenge!

Cathy M
    May 20, 2016 at 8:09 pm

Group projects have been (and always will be) the bane of my existence! I am definitely the Type A kinda gal that just wants to take over the whole thing haha